A Touch of Southern Hospitality

Welcome to Sassy Southern Adventures! This blog is a personal journey for me to discover great things in the South. As a born and raised Southerner, I became tired of people saying there is nothing to do outside of the big city. I am on a mission to find fun and interesting things that I have never experienced. Thanks for joining me on this journey! Enjoy!

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Special Guest Blog: Rock City, Chattanooga, TN

“Create memories worth repeating for our guests and partners”
After departing Ruby Falls on my Thanksgiving getaway, I was sold on the idea that nothing could top the experience I had just encountered then I ventured higher onto Lookout Mountain to Rock City for a 60 to 90-minute, self-guided walking tour along The Enchanted Trail that smoothly meanders through a 14-acre property. Situated atop Lookout Mountain and six miles from downtown Chattanooga, Rock City delivered an enchanting 4,100-foot walking trail showcasing soaring rock formations, caves and lush gardens. Rock City fashioned from colossal primordial rock formations estimated to be some 200 million years old also displayed gardens of over 400 plant species from native wildflowers, plants, shrubs and trees. I was swiftly thinking my earlier declaration of Ruby Falls being one heck of an experience to be tested to the fullest upon the apex of my Rock City tour. Rock City delivered a jaw dropping “See 7 States” panoramic view (1700ft. above sea level) from Lover’s Leap. From this same view point I along with other patrons were able to view the Chattanooga Valley and Missionary Ridge-Civil War battlefields which immediately erupted thoughts in me of how close I was to American history. To think that below were I was currently standing people died assisting in the fight to help shape the country we have today.


Rock City gardens history in terms of being a world-famous tourist attraction dates back to the days of the Great Depression, yet its history within the realm of being a geological marvel of nature reaches back several million years before that. Originally inhabited by the Native Americans for travel purposes between the different states, Rock City reined supreme. In 1823 two missionaries, Daniel S. Butrick and William Chamberlain arrived on Lookout Mountain to administer to the Indians. History states that on August 28, 1823, Reverend Butrick made an entry in his diary describing “a citadel of rocks,” atop the mountain, noting the immense size of the boulders and stating that they were arranged in such a way “as to afford streets and lanes.” Around the time that the Civil War reached Lookout Mountain a plethora of people had already began to take note of what was being called “The Rock City.” During the Battle of Lookout Mountain a Union officer and Confederate nurse speculated in separate diary entries that one could see 7 states from atop the summit although Rock City wouldn’t become a household name until a local hills man took notice. His name was Garnett Carter, and this local product from Sweetwater, TN had an idea in mind to elevate Rock City to the heavens, yet things don’t always go as planned.
At age 11 Garnett and family took up residence near Chattanooga on Lookout Mountain, so the area was very familiar to Garnett Carter in later years. By 1924 Garnett and his wife Frieda lived in a distinct community known as Fairyland, named consequently because of his wife’s long-time interest in European folklore. Fairyland was to be a golf course owned by Carter to draw interested players to Lookout Mountain to play the desired game, but construction was long and tedious. In order to appease to those clamoring to play golf, Carter fashioned the first miniature golf course. Garnett Carter then franchised these miniature golf courses around the U.S. in what’s named Tom Thumb Golf. While Garnett was dealing with golf Frieda began a project of her own.
Frieda set out to develop the 700 acres of Fairyland into a rock garden to end all gardens. Frieda Carter spent four years forging a path through the wilderness among the rock formations with only a string to mark her trail which ended at Lover’s Leap. She also collected wildflowers and other plants and had them transplanted along her trail. The garden was supplemented by imported German Gnome statues and fairytale characters along the trail which still highlight the area today. Garnett soon realized his wife was on to something and put his energy into her idea full time since The Great Depression had pretty much killed his idea of a golf course. Rock City, with much anticipation and hard work, then officially opened to the public on May 21, 1932 but business was slow in the beginning due to the lack of advertising. Then in 1936 Garnett Carter began his famous barn roof advertising campaign to lure vacationers from the highways. By the 1950’s Clark Byers, possibly a local painter went out and painted “See Rock City” on 900 barn roofs from Michigan to Texas. I was wondering on the road to Ruby Falls why red barns along the road had, “Rock City “, wrote on the side. Also in today’s massive advertising world now billboards stand showing red barns pointing and suggesting patrons to visit Rock City. The advertising idea for Garnett Carter soon began to produce the desired effect and, by the close of the 1930’s, more travelers than ever had seen Rock City gardens.


My tour of Rock City was truly amazing and by the time I arrived at Lover’s Leap my jaw had fallen to the surface below considering the view. Along The Enchanted Trial there were some very distinctive features like the 100-ft waterfall and 1000-ton balanced rock. I recall approaching the balanced rock in shock and hoping that the rock doesn’t somehow move while I was underneath. Other points of interest along The Enchanted Trail included a Swing-A-Long bridge (Ideal for pictures) that scared the spirit right out of me, Fairyland Cavern and Mother Goose Village. By the time the tour arrived at Fairyland Cavern and Mother Goose Village the children around me became extremely excited. I thought what else was there for me to be in awe about since I’m an adult and vastly approaching an area (Fairyland Cavern and Mother Goose Village) for kids. I was gravely mistaken for upon entering Fairyland Cavern I became a kid all over again. In different corridors within the mountain were nursery rhymes acted out with still figurines under stage and studio lighting which assisted in enhancing the experience entirely.  As for Mother Goose Village well it to was nothing short of incredible with stories played out on a large platform that my tour group was allowed to circle and view from a safe distance.




The entire experience of Rock City was one for the ages and an event I will not soon forget. If ever I get the chance to return I will do so and bring friends along. I haven’t stopped talking about my experience yet so I guess you can say I’m giving Rock City some free word of mouth advertisement, that’s a stretch from painting on the side of barns.

No comments:

Post a Comment